Thursday Info

My family starts to arrive today from various points in the U.S.  We seem to be having a little get-together for mother’s day.  My sister and brother and his wife arrive today.   We’ll do the D.C. tour thing tomorrow.  Tomorrow night my mom and step-dad arrive.  I’m looking forward to the weekend with them all.

I’m going to throw a vehicle maintenance question out there in hopes that someone can help me come up with some ideas.  I’ve got my motor completely back together and it runs great.  The one thing I can’t figure out is the coolant level.  After we drive it for a bit, the coolant level light comes on.  When I let the engine cool and open radiator to add coolant, coolant comes gushing out like it is over full.  It’s driving me up the wall trying to figure out what would cause this.  If you have any ideas, or can forward this blog to any mechanic friends you might have, I’d appreciate you leaving them as comments or emailing me.

Have a great weekend!  I’ll see you all on Monday.  I’m planning on starting a series on Outreach Ministry that I hope you all find informative and gives us something to talk about.

26 Responses to Thursday Info

Sounds to me like the Ogdent – Pierson exchange valve module may be malfunctioning. Actually I just made that up, but I’ve had a similar problem in the past and it was a sensor going bad. Or something as simple as a faulty thermostat that is not opening and closing properly. There are so many computer components to cars these days. You can purchase a computer analyzer thingamagizmo from Harbor Freight Tools (do you have one nearby?) for about $35 that will allow you to plug into the car computer system and analyze anything going wrong. A mechanic charges (out here) about $150 to do the same thing and that’s just to find out what’s going wrong. The parts and labot to correct it are added to the analysis fee. Good luck, though.

3. bnicklaus says:

maybe you left out the coolant re-adjustamator…

4. bnicklaus says:

maybe you left out the coolant re-adjustamator…

Not a clue! 🙂

Have a wonderful weekend.

Not a clue! 🙂

Have a wonderful weekend.

7. Dee Andrews says:

I think you should just call the Car Talk guys Saturday morning on NPR and talk with them. You know – Click & Clack, the Tapett brothers. Those guys are phenomonal. I love that show and their wild crazy antics, plus they know their stuff.

Althoguh Greg sounds like he does, too! ha!

Hope you have a great family weekend! Dee

8. Dee Andrews says:

Althoguh Greg sounds like he does, too! ha!

Hope you have a great family weekend! Dee

9. Randy says:

Have you tried the ‘ol heater trick when the light comes on to see if a splash of cold reserve water confuses the sensor?

10. Randy says:

11. Kim says:

Brad,
    You can take it to Auto Zone and other parts store and they will run a computer check on it for free.

12. Kim says:

Brad,

I, too, thought the Ogdent – Pierson exchange valve was faulty, but I couldn’t find it in any of my books. Must be something else.

I actually installed a new thermostat when I had the engine open. It’s working great.

I appreciate the honesty.

Never heard of it. Perhaps I’ll have to figure out what you’re talking about so I can try it.

I’m not getting a computer error. Just a sensor light. I’d have to have a “check engine” light for the computer to read anything. That is how I found found the location of my head gasket problem. The found a “misfire in cylinder one” error on the computer. It’s gone, now, cause I fixed it.

I figured out the problem today after posting on Thursday. There was air in the system from having low coolant. After running it and cooling it for couple days, all the air made it to the radiator and was replaced with fluid from the reservoir. Thanks for all the thoughts, though.

18. Matt Dabbs says:

Looking forward to the new series!

19. Matt Dabbs says:

Looking forward to the new series!