Audioblog – Career Day!

I had a shadow yesterday.  Winston from our youth group decided to follow me around to see what a day in the life of Brad is all about.  To mark such a special occasion, I had him record an audioblog with me.  Enjoy, and be sure to answer his tag question in the comments.

Either above or below this post is my recommended reading list for postmodernism.  Check it out and add your recommended books in the comments section.

[audio:http://bradpalmore.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2007/04/audioblog-april-26-2007.mp3]

10 Responses to Audioblog – Career Day!

“Decaf coffee isn’t real coffee.” Amen, brother!

I can’t answer Winston’s question because we go to the same church. I’ve said before that Brad (and by extension, the Arlington youth group) is the big reason we decided to “cast our lot” with Arlington Church of Christ.

“Decaf coffee isn’t real coffee.” Amen, brother!

3. Dee Andrews says:

Hey, Winston – I enjoyed your AudioBlog! Cool!

(Brad – you really MUST tell me/show me/explain to me how to do AudioBlogs, because I want to do some over at Finding Direction! Or do you think the world is ready for the Dee Andrews accent of South Mississippi via Louisiana via Mississippi before via Virginia via East Texas via West Texas?)

Winston – I go to a very small church with a small young people’s group, but they try to do as much as they can and participate in Mississippi Gulf Coast activities and summer Christian camp. So I think they are to be commended for the work they do.

I hope you will continue to try to “grow” your group there in Arlington by reaching out to your school friends and others to bring them in. As with the recent Virginia Tech tragedy, we see the need for young people as they grow up to be connected to one another.

Good AudioBlog!

4. Dee Andrews says:

Hey, Winston – I enjoyed your AudioBlog! Cool!

Good AudioBlog!

…we see the need for young people as they grow up to be connected to one another.

Absolutely right, Dee! I grew up in a VERY small church with no youth group to speak of. With no youth group there was zero peer support for anyone trying to live as a Christian in a public school. Some of the other denominations in town did have good youth groups and the Baptist church even held a weekly prayer time before school (At school!) Unfortunately I was being forcefed a diet of such dogmatic legalism at church that instead of embracing the opportunity I allowed myself to be convinced that I couldn’t fellowship with young people from other denominations. Boy, if I’d known then what I know now!

I hope that any young person who has the benefit of solid youth group with a strong leader (like Arlington has) will appreciate and take advantage of all the opportunities it provides. Coming from the background that I did I made the youth group a big, big factor in determining where we’d worship when we moved to Virginia. Our kids are going to struggle enough as it is. Theres’ no reason they should go through it alone.

I don’t have any sound on my computer, so I don’t know what Winston’s question was. Would love to comment if someone (?) will supply me with the question.

8. zman says:

Brad – bit of a hiatus from your blog so I’m catching up, including your last few posts on modernism/post. I’ll comment on that later.

Great to hear Winston’s voice & thoughts.

Winston – we have a youth group at our church of about 35 or so kids. Having said that, we’re taking a new approach to youth ministry and basically have a goal/focus to do away with a youth group.

The premise being that we are all part of the same family and should think of ourselves as intergenerational in all aspects of being a Christian. That’s not to say jr. & sr. high kids won’t do things together & spend time together…they will. Instead, being part of a group won’t be the primary focus of our youth or of the church.

People tend to get “siloed” in their thinking and sense of belonging if they identify too strongly with one particular part of a church, instead of thinking of themselves as part of a whole body. Adults are susceptible to this and youth groups are particularly vulnerable to this, regardless of denomination. Our hope & prayer is that young adults that grow up & leave for college or a job have the experience of being part of a body of Christians, and see themselves as part of something larger than their peer group, based on relationship with Christ as the head and the foundation for that is relationship with the father. Not to say that isn’t the goal of any youth group, perhaps it’s just that the approach is different.

Probably more than you bargained for but that’s what we’re focusing on here at our church in terms of our youth.

9. zman says:

Great to hear Winston’s voice & thoughts.