Be careful what you share…

you never know where it will turn up.

Advising you to watch what you share allows me the less bragging way of telling you that some comments I made about youth ministry turned up in the latest edition of Group Magazine (March/April 2007).  It was kind of surprising because they didn’t tell me it would be in there.  I happened to be flipping through the magazine Sunday morning when I noticed an article that seemed similar to an online discussion I’d taken part in recently.  I knew I had seen it when I read my comments, and was delighted to find my name printed neatly beneath my comments in super-trendy lower case letters.

The initial question was about how to get a youth group to sing when they have no history of singing and express no interest in singing either.  Having just worked through that situation, I presented the following suggestions:

• Expose them to the power of worship.  We took our teens to a large youth rally and strategically placed them in the middle of the group, close to the front.  The came away saying, "Wasn’t the singing awesome?"
  • Create an environment of safety. Some of the kids didn’t like to sing because they didn’t know the songs, or how they sounded in front of others.  We had them sing along to recordings with the volume high enough to allow them to "hide".
  • Partner with teens in the music selection process. We set some specific time to work on new songs.  We loaded up our iPod with all their favorite worship songs and played them repeatedly on road trips and at youth activities.
  • Provide resources.  We gave away CDs and took the teens on an outing to the local Christian book store to show them where to go to find worship music.

While this is really neat getting my comments published, it is even better that these techniques are paying dividends in our youth group.  Our youth have developed so much in the last year that it is amazing.  I can’t wait to see what the future holds with them!

10 Responses to Be careful what you share…

1. Mom says:

I am sssooooo looking forward to seeing this group again on your July trip to Harding. I’m guessing there will be a noticeable growth and maturing in their love of our Lord. Exciting!

2. Mom says:

Good things should be shared! I’m glad Group Magazine picked up on this and shared it to much broader audience.

Now I need to go edit some blogs … just in case!

Now I need to go edit some blogs … just in case!

5. Brady says:

That is cool. I’ve never been quoted in Group, one of my favorite ym magazines 23 years ago…

6. Brady says:

7. Randy Wray says:

Knowing the resistance to singing by that particular group and hearing of your progress is worthy of publication.

8. Randy Wray says:

Congratulations! I’m proud of you.

Maybe we could incorporate some of those suggestions in groups other than youth! The song leader in my congregation recently commented on how many adults sit through worship services without ever opening their mouths to sing! 🙂

Congratulations! I’m proud of you.