Blessings of Giving

Royce Ogle’s comment about the need for teachings about blessings got me to thinking a little bit.  What are the blessings that come from giving?  Are there tangible, monetary blessings one can receive or are they strictly spiritual, warm and fuzzy on the inside blessings?  It’s funny that we don’t spend more time teaching about giving.  I think it is because we know we can’t preach health and wealth but we don’t know what to replace it with.  I can’t think of an area in our Christian walk where faith and the physical are so clearly involved with each other while at the same time seeming to be so diametrically opposite of each other.

So, what are they?  What are the reasons we should give money to the church?

6 Responses to Blessings of Giving

I don’t give to the church. I give to the Lord and the church handles the transaction. It drives me nuts, though, when communion / offering speakers say things like, “we need to pay the preacher and pay the bills ….” If that’s the only reason someone gives, I’d encourage them to keep the money.

3. Meowmix says:

The first thing that comes to mind (unless someone we all know and love tells me I’ve taken something out of context again!) is that we are commanded to? At least that’s what I’ve been taught, and seems like the Scripture teaches it.

But much more than that, we give out of our bountiful blessings back to the Lord in order for others to be blessed……….whereever the need is. And we do this out of hearts of love and a desire to share what has been given to us.

4. Meowmix says:

Do you think this is a figurative prophecy or is it a literal promise?

“Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this, and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit, then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land.” says the LORD Almighty.
    Mal 4:10-12

Do you think this is a figurative prophecy or is it a literal promise?

Mal 4:10-12